9/26/2007

What Were They Thinking? - Bathroom Design

Every day, I encounter things that seem not to have been very well thought out. Things about which I have to ask myself: "Who thought this was a good idea, and why?"

I'm going to start posting about these things once a week or so, and the first one is about a bathroom design element that seems really wrong to me.

Why is it that public restrooms almost always have a large sink with a short faucet? You know what I mean: the sink is so wide from front to back that you have to reach almost arm's length to turn on the water, and the faucet is so short that you almost bump your hands against the back of the sink when washing them. Who thinks that makes any sense at all? Besides making washing awkward, it virtually guarantees that water will be splashed around on the counter, making a mess.

What were they thinking?

No comments: