3/14/2005

Do straight couples get questions like this?

Last week I was very depressed and upset about my financial situation, of which my honey's medical expenses are a fairly major factor (at least until my health benefits kick in at my new job). I was explaining some of this to a concerned co-worker (later in the week, when I was calmer, that is), and she was responding with the standard chorus of "this too shall pass".

She asked if honey was getting any kind of assistance or disability income. I explained that, because we're domestic partners, they look at my income as well as her lack of it, and determine that we make too much money for her to qualify for any kind of aid. :-( I said that being domestic partners in California means we now have most of the responsibilities, but only a few of the rights, of hetero married couples.

So she asks: "Why don't you divorce her?" Into my stunned silence, she blunders on: "Just temporarily...you know..." before she realizes that her suggestion is not really falling on receptive ears.

I realize that she probably thought it was a helpful suggestion. I know that an increasing number of straight couples are choosing to stop short of legal marriage because to do so would screw up one or both partner's government benefits; or, if they're both working for high salaries, throw them into a painfully high tax bracket. Personally, I think that's a rotten situation to have to be in, either way. but at least they have the choice.

And I don't think that any straight couple, once married, chooses divorce when one partner's health gets expensive. First of all, even a no-fault divorce is cost-free; and for my honey and me to divorce (this is one of the areas where domestic partners are treated the same as married couples) would require all the same paperwork, complete with a court appearance to explain to the judge why we're splitting. Second, I don't think that "I can't afford her any more" constitutes valid grounds for divorce.

Do straight couples take that vow so lightly?

No comments: