4/15/2005

Artist + Breadwinner = Frustration

It may surprise you to know that I am also one of those creative types. Personally, I find it very frustrating to have to work for a living when I really have an artistic temperament - I'd rather be making art, but I'm the designated breadwinner, so whatcha gonna do, eh?

I fit it in where I can. I quilt on the commute train. I keep a knitting project by the bed, so I can knit while I'm hangin' out with my honey. The bead jewelry's kind of on hold for the moment because I have other projects due, but I'm designing a new necklace in my head this week, as well as a few other projects. Now that we're well into spring, I need to start carrying my camera again so I can take pics of all the things that inspire me as I go along my way. Honestly, if I never had to work again, I'd still have to live to be well over 300 to realize all the things I have in mind!

Anyway, projects that I currently have in (active) progress because there are deadlines involved:
  • a knitted lace shawl in a pretty shimmery pink yarn for honey to wear to the awards dinner on May 6
  • my "coat of many colors"/ceremonial robe to wear when honey and I officiate at our foster son's wedding on May 14. This weekend, I need to wash/press/cut the backing fabric for the sections that I've already pieced, so that I can at least quilt enough of it to make a suitable stole for the occasion; I really don't think I'm gonna get into full robe form in time, I've just been too busy (when I haven't been to sick/depressed to do anything at all)
  • six quilt blocks for a sampler swap with one of my online lists. I was supposed to have three of these done last month, and the other three this month, but I just haven't been able to get it done. I did post to the list last month to let them know that I'm hoping to get the March ones done by the end of May, and the April ones done by the end of June. I love swaps, but I too often wind up not having time to fulfill my obligations in a timely manner, which is really not fair to the other swappers.
There's more, of course, but those are the ones I'm working on right now.

No comments: